Are you one of the million people who love to get lost in the fascinating world of Minecraft, where you are thrilled to encounter storming adventures! If yes, then it must be really frustrating for you when the Minecraft launcher won’t open up.
Minecraft is one of the most played video games in the world with amazing design. But many users have reported a common issue of the Minecraft launcher won’t open up while playing the game.
Why Minecraft Launcher Won’t Open
If you too are facing this problem then there is no need to worry. This problem is easily fixable.
First, you need to understand why this error is occurring in the first place. Here is a list of possible reasons why you are facing the “Minecraft launcher won’t open” issue.
- Minecraft launcher file may be corrupted
- Third-Party Services
- Bad Internet connection
- Video card drivers may be out-dated
- Recent Updates can make the game incompatible with the configuration
- The system is not up to date
- Too many mods installed on the PC
- Unstable internet connection
Methods To Fix Minecraft Launcher Won’t Open
After a deep analysis of this situation, we have come across several solutions to help you fix this annoying issue. A list of all the possible solutions is given below. You don’t need to apply all of them. Just go through the fixes one by one and see which one helps you get rid of the “Minecraft launcher won’t open up” issue.
1. Delete Launcher Profile
One of the reasons why the Minecraft launcher won’t open up is the corrupted launcher files. If the launcher file is corrupt then you have to delete the launcher files from the “Minecraft” folder on your PC. Afterward, you’ll have to reinstall them manually. Here is the process to delete the files.
- Press Windows key + R to open the Run dialogue box.
- Here you would type %AppData% and press Enter.
- A file explorer window will open up. Now look for the folder “.minecraft” and click to open.
- Once here, delete the launcher_profiles.json file.
- Now, open the launcher to check if the problem is fixed or not.
2. Perform A Clean Boot
Any background App, antivirus, or any other program may be preventing the Minecraft launcher to open up. In this case, a clean boot is a good option to pinpoint the actual culprit. When you know the exact reason for this problem, you’ll be able to deal with it easily. Follow the instructions below to perform a clean boot.
- First, open the Start Menu and type msconfig.
- Here a System Configuration window will open up and you have to switch to the Services tab.
- Now, click on the Hide all Microsoft services tickbox at the lower-right corner.
- Click on Disable all to disable the background services.
- After doing this, switch to the Startup tab. Then click on open task manager.
- Here you will see all apps. Select the app you want to disable. Now click Disable.
- Close the Task Manager and click on OK on the System Configuration window when you are done.
- Finally, restart your PC and see if the Minecraft launcher works.
3. Update The Driver
If the graphic card driver is not up to date, you will face difficulty in opening the Minecraft launcher. It is advised to update your drivers regularly to avoid such issues. You can either update your drivers manually or automatically. To check graphic driver updates manually, follow these steps.
- Go to Device Manager in Control Panel.
- Select the Display adapters and Double-Click on the device shown there.
- Go to the Drivers tab and check if it is updated or not.
- If required, then update the driver and check the Minecraft launcher again.
4. Run Minecraft As An Administrator
If the above-mentioned fixes do not work for you then you should probably go for running Minecraft as an administrator. Doing this starts the process with administrative privileges. Moreover, it stops any background services that might be interfering with the Minecraft launcher. Here are simple instructions to run Minecraft as an admin.
- First of all, right-click on the launcher that you have just created.
- Now, choose the Run as administrator option from the drop-down menu.
- Then, a User Access Control dialog box will pop up, click Yes.
5. Reinstall Minecraft
If non of the above solutions work for you, then try reinstalling Minecraft. If there is any error, it will disappear after the reinstall. Many users have reported that this single, simple step has helped them to get rid of the Minecraft launcher won’t open up issue. If you have any confusion about reinstalling the game, worry not! We are here to guide you. Just follow the instructions.
- Go to Start Menu and open Control Panel.
- Then, click on Uninstall a program option under Programs.
- Here you will see a list of all apps installed on your PC. Double-click on Minecraft Launcher.
- Once you have uninstalled it, go ahead and install it again and check if things are working smoothly.
6. Use Compatibility Mode
If the window version that you are using is outdated and incompatible with the Minecraft launcher, then it can hinder launching. All you need to do is use the compatibility mode of windows 10 to fix this problem. Here is how to do this.
- First, click the Minecraft launcher option and select Properties.
- Now let’s go to the Compatibility tab and check the box next to Run this program in compatibility mode.
- Now choose the operating system that you are currently using.
- Click Apply and then enter OK.
- And now run the Minecraft launcher to see if it is working properly.
7. Remove Your Minecraft Modes
The user-based modifications or mods are used by gamers to add or remove content to the game. Tones of Minecraft modes are available on the internet. But there is a problem. These mods can cause real trouble for you such as the Minecraft launcher won’t open up. If you already face this problem, then try removing all the installed mods.
8. Check Your Internet Connection
Sometimes, the problem isn’t really that big. But we fail to figure it out. Similarly, your Minecraft launcher might not be opening just because of a poor internet connection. Yes! The reason for such a frustrating problem could be that simple. So check your internet connection if it’s working properly.
9. Reset Windows Store
If no other fix is working for you, then the final tip we would give is to reset your Windows store. It is a proven method to get rid of the Minecraft launcher that won’t open up issues. Many users have reported that it worked for them. Don’t know how to do this? Here is how.
- Press Windows key + R at the same time to open up a Run dialogue box.
- Once here, write wsreset.exe and press Enter.
- Then wait for the execution of the command.
- When you are done, reboot your PC and re-launch the game to see if it works properly.
10. Disable FPS lock
The FPS Lock can also be turned off, which can help you get rid of Minecraft Won’t Launch. How to get the FPS Lock off:
- Open run (Windows Key + R).
- A folder will open and then navigate to
- Search “Gameusersettings.ini” and edit it with Notepad.
- Search for “bUseVSync” and change the value to “False” and close and save it.
- After that right-click on the Desktop and click Display settings.
- Now, click on “Advanced display”.
- A window will appear, Select “Display adapter properties”.
- Navigate to monitor and check the screen refresh rate it should be under “60” If the value is higher than 60 change it.
- Restart your Game!
11. Change Power Option
Sometimes when the PC power plan is set to the Balanced option which provides less power to the game it causes lagging issues or sometimes it crashes the game. To fix Minecraft Won’t Launch on PC, follow the steps below.
- Go to “Control Panel”.
- Search for “Power Options” and click on it.
- Change your Power Plan to “High Performance”.
- If the power plan doesn’t exist you can create it by navigating to the left menu and clicking on “Create a power plan”.
- After that click on “High Performance”.
- Now, click on next and done.
12. Disable Full-Screen Optimization
Full-Screen Optimization provides the “Borderless” feature in games. But, sometimes this feature causes problems with the game aspects, resulting in the Minecraft Won’t Launch issue. So, disable it to address the issue.
- Go to the game installation folder and right-click on the launcher.
- Select Properties and navigate to the Compatibility tab.
- Then, Check “Disable fullscreen optimizations”.
- Apply that setting.
Check the game if the issue persists.
We really hope this article helps you to get rid of the Minecraft launcher won’t open issues. You don’t have to apply all the methods. Just try them one by one and hopefully any one of them will work for you. Thank You!