Don’t ever think Windows didn’t come with additional features than the default. But it comes with loads of features that are available to its users. Today we’re going to make your computer shut down at a particular given time.
Make Your Computer Shutdown At Particular Given Time
Why are we’re gonna use this method to shut down at a particular time? Because we often forget to shut down our computers. So let’s proceed!
Step 1. Right, Click on your Desktop. And then select the option of “New shortcut“
Step 2. After creating the new shortcut you will be prompt “what item would you like to create a shortcut for?”
Step 3. You need to enter the following code their shutdown -s -t 600. As you can see in the screenshot I have typed “shutdown -s -t 600”. Because 60sec=1 minute 10*60sec=600 seconds so my Computer will shut down after 10 minutes. You can only command it only in seconds.
Moreover, if you need 1 hour then if 10 minutes is 600 sec then 60 minutes is 3600 so for one hour is 3600 you have to place and if you want to shut down your computer after 5 hours then 1 hour = 3600 multiplication with 5 comes 18000 seconds that you have to place, it’s just a simple calculation.
Step 4. Once you had completed the above steps, you need to save that file. You can see your newly created shortcut on the desktop, double click it and you will get the notification on the taskbar regarding your shutdown time.
Method 2. Scheduling Shutdown/Restarts using Task Scheduler
Your windows operating system comes up with an important function which is known as Task Scheduler it name suggests it schedules important tasks for you. So we can use Task Scheduler to schedule Shutdown or Restart in Windows, let’s know how to do it.
First of all, you need to open the run box in windows by pressing CTRL+R and then type “taskschd.msc” without the quotation mark.
- Now you will see the Task scheduler opens up, now you need to click on “Create Basic Task“.
- Now you need to give it a name and a description of your wish and then simply click “Next”.
- Now you will be asked when you want the task to start simply select “One time” and hit the next button.
- Now on the next page, you need to set the start date and time.
- Now you need to choose the option “Start a program“.
- Now here is the tricky part where you need to the script ” –s –f –t 0” in the Add arguments box. If you want to shutdown to commence after 60 seconds then type 60 by replacing the 0 here and click on Next.
- Now you will see your assigned schedule simply click on the finish button to make the schedule work.
Using Switch Off
Switch Off is a lightweight easy-to-use tray-based system utility that could automatically shutdown, suspend or hibernate your system. This could cut your electricity bills and save the environment by lowering your PC power consumption. It could also disconnect dial-up and VPN connections to cut your internet service bills as well.
- First of all, you need to download and install Switch off on your Windows computer and run the application.
- Now you need to click on the system’s notification tray on the taskbar and there you need to right-click on the Switch off the application and choose “Option“. There set everything according to your wish.
- Now you need to double click on the Switch off application. There under “Select Schedule“, you need to choose the option “Countdown” and enter the time period.
- Now under the option “Select Task” you need to choose the option “Shutdown“. You can choose any other options according to your wish.
- After you have done setting up the task, you need to click on “Enable task“.
That’s it! Now you will see your computer will begin the countdown and will be shut down at the given time.
Similar Softwares Like Switch Off:
Well, don’t go by the name. This tool works with every version of windows. It does an excellent job of scheduling shut-down functions. This app is easy to use and carries a clean interface. You can log off, restart, shut down, or can hibernate your computer using this.
Wise Auto Shutdown enables you to set the PC to shut down, restart, power off, log off, sleep or hibernate on a regular basis or only once, at a specific time. It makes your power management much easier and more convenient.
AMP WinOFF is a utility for scheduling the shutdown of Windows computers, with several shutdown conditions and is fully configurable. The best part of this app is users can create advanced profiles which can have multi-conditional behaviors.