MEGA.nz cloud storage can be installed on Ubuntu desktops and servers using this guide. MEGA.nz is a New Zealand-based cloud storage service. It gives you 20 GB of free storage when you sign up, but you can also acquire up to 50 GB for free.
- Zero-knowledge encryption (user-controlled end-to-end encryption).
- Open-source client apps.
- Cross-platform, available on Linux, macOS, Windows, iOS, Android, and NAS.
- Full sync and selective sync
- Two-factor authentication for an additional layer of security.
- Protect your share link with a password or make it automatically expire after a certain amount of time.
- File versioning allows you to revert the files back to a moment in time.
- MEGAdrop: A MEGAdrop folder allows anyone to upload files to your MEGA cloud, even if they don’t have an account.
- MEGAchat: audio/video calls with MEGA’s end-to-end encrypted chat.
Install MEGAsync Client on Ubuntu Desktop
Visit the MEGA.nz website if you don’t already have an account and sign up for a new one. Then, install the Linux MEGA sync client. Choose an Ubuntu version to install (Ubuntu 18.04, Ubuntu 20.04, or Ubuntu 21.04).
After downloading the MEGA sync deb package, go to the directory where you saved it. Run the command below if you have a MEGA sync that has been saved in the Downloads directory under Home.
Install the deb package using the apt package manager.
sudo apt install /home/noor/Downloads/megasync-xUbuntu_21.10_amd64.deb
Open MEGA sync from the application menu after it’s installed. You’ll be prompted to log in. MEGA.nz email address and password required.
Next, you have the option of syncing all Mega cloud folders or just a few of them. Full synchronization is my preference.
Then select the local directory where your MEGA files will be stored. MEGA cloud drive can be configured to sync additional folders on your hard drive once the initial setup has been completed.
How to Install MEGA Client on Ubuntu Server
To install MEGA on the headless Ubuntu server as a command-line client. First, download the MEGA CMD client. Select your Ubuntu version.
To download it directly from the command line, run the following command.
Then run the following command to install it.
sudo apt install ./megacmd*.deb
Next, run the interactive
Then use the sub-command login to log into your account.
It will prompt you to enter your MEGA password.
Once logged in, you will be dropped into the MEGA folder. To exit, run
To resume the session, run mega-cmd again.
Read the details here.