While being the most private app, when it comes to chatting, Telegram has yet no other competitor providing the same rights of privacy. Russian-born entrepreneur, Pavel Valerievich Durov, who also founded the social networking site VK, has created it.
Telegram does not provide end-to-end encryption to chats and media by default, which simply means that Telegram has the access to who, when, and how you send a message and content of the standard chat.
End-to-End Encryption in Private Chats:
For providing highly secure bank-level privacy and security, Telegram facilitates its users with an additional feature known as “Secret Chat”. However, you need to enable it.
Through Secret Chats, all the content of the chats e.g. calls, messages, media, docs, images, videos, and only you and the recipient access other files. No third party can ever have any access to it. Because they are not stored in the server, the content will be automatically deleted when logged out from the app or when an app gets deleted.
How to set-up a Secret Chat in Telegram:
Due to the non-insurance of the secure storage of chats in devices, Windows is not suitable for secret chats, however, you can get it through Telegram’s iOS and Android apps.
To create a Secret Chat follow the following steps;
- Open the profile of the person you want to have a secret chat with.
- Click on the three-dot button in the bottom right corner.
- Select “Start Secret Chat”
- A chat will open, which will show an end-to-end encryption notification at the start.
- Select the desired timings of the deletion of chat by clicking the clock icon.
- Any screenshot taken by the recipient will be notified to you.
- You can have multiple secret chats with the same recipient.
- Group chats are not secret.
- Always check for a padlock icon with the name of your chat person. The chat will be a secret chat only if it is available there. The end-to-end encryption does not get activated if the icon is not available there.
- For double-check, click on the recipient’s icon, and “Encryption key” will be shown at the bottom of the chat.
Personal Privacy Settings:
Go to the Settings of the app. and there you can opt for any setting of privacy and security with your own choice. You can turn on the “Passcode” or “Face ID” and you should do the “Two-Step Verification”. It will provide security to the account against hackers.
Telegram is a privacy-friendly app, but with a few more efforts, you can assure yourself with a perfect secure app for chatting. Always keep your privacy a priority; double-check everything and lock everything with Passcodes, and never share your personal information such as passwords with anyone. In addition, enjoy your social life without having any fear.