How do you usually restart or shut down your PC? Through the power button right? And what if there are no power options showing up? All you see after clicking the power button is an error saying “There are currently no power options available”. That would be a real frustration for you guys. The most common feature of Windows, the power button, that we are so accustomed to using has become our reflex action. The sudden disappearance of this most common feature gets to your nerves.
There Are Currently No Power Options Available
Many users have been reporting the issue of power options not being available on their windows PC. The power option error mostly occurs in Windows 10 and Windows 8.1.
If you are among the people facing difficulty shutting their PC down, then worry not! Although this problem may seem so frustrating, it’s actually not that hard to get rid of. All you need is the basic knowledge of computer functioning and some instructions.
Why “There Are Currently No Power Options Available” Error Occur?
Many users report having this error on their windows PC. Each has a unique reason for the occurrence of the error. However, the most common reasons responsible for the error are listed below.
- System file corruption.
- NoClose Registry Key.
- User rights assignments issue.
- Power options Menu Glitch.
- Third-party app malfunction.
How To Fix “There Are No Power Options Available” Error?
After investigating several user reports, we have come across some fixes to help you with this error correction. Just go through the solutions one by one and see which method best suits your windows.
1. Running the Power troubleshooter
Windows is a powerful operating system that comes with many useful tools and features. One of them is a Power Troubleshooter.
Several users have reported that they got the power button glitch fixed immediately after running a power troubleshoot. This is considered to be the most effective method to get rid of this error.
This method is applicable and effective for Windows 7,8,8.1 and 10. Here is a step-by-step guide to performing a power troubleshoot.
- Go to the Start menu. Once there, select Settings from the menu.
- Once you are here, click on Update & Security.
- Several options will appear on the left pane, here you click on Troubleshoot.
- Afterward, you need to click on Additional Troubleshooters.
- Click on Power, under the healing Find and fix other problems.
- Now, select Run the troubleshooter.
- Wait for the scan to complete. If any issue is detected, click on Apply this fix and follow the on-screen instructions to apply the troubleshoot.
2. Restore Power Options Using Command
If the above method failed to solve the “There are no power options available” issue, then you should try restoring the power options by executing a command inside an elevated Command Prompt window.
There are two commands that have solved this error for many users. Another simple method just needs proper instructions to apply successfully. Make sure to put the commands in the sequence as advised.
- First of all, press Windows + R. A Run dialogue box will open up.
- Now, type “cmd” and press Ctrl + Shift + Enter. An elevated Command prompt will open up.
- When UAC (User Account Control) appears on the screen, click Yes.
- Inside the Command Prompt, execute the following command:
powercfg -restoredefaultschemesand press Enter.
- Now, Restart your computer to see whether the error has been removed or not. If it’s still there then repeat step one and continue with the step below.
- Now type the following command inside the Command Prompt:
secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\inf\defltbase.inf /db defltbase.sdb /verboseand press Enter.
- Finally, restart your PC to see if the issue has been resolved.
3. Edit The Windows Registry
First of all, check if you are using the Home edition of Windows 10, because if you are using then you don’t have access to Local Group Policy Editor. So in this situation, you can use the Registry Editor to disable the option that hides power options. This can solve your error if there are no power options currently available in windows. Follow the given steps to get done with it:
- Click the Windows key+R together to open the Run box.
- Now type Regedit in the Run box.
- On the Registry Edit Screen, navigate to the following path.
- Now find the NoClose entry.
- After that, set its Value Data to 0 (zero) and press Ok.
- Now Restart your system.
4. Use the Local Security Policy Tool
The problem of there being currently no power options available in windows can be solved by using the Local Security Policy Tool. It can also be done by modifying the User Rights Assignment Policy. So this tool helps you to resolve conflicts arising from this error in your windows. Follow the given steps for performing this method.
- Open the Run, Type secpol.msc in the text area and press the Ok button.
- After doing this Local Pool Security Policy Editor will open.
- Here expand Local Policies > User Rights Assignment.
- Now double click on Create Token Object.
- Drag down to find and right-click on Shutdown, now select Properties.
- Now Shutdown the System Properties window will open on the screen, click on Backup Operators followed by Add user or Group.
- Now minimize the Select Users or Groups window until adequate information to proceed is cached.
- Launch the Run dialogue box again, type control, and press Enter.
- Navigate to a user account in the Control Panel.
- Then, you gave to press Configure advanced user profile properties from the left side.
- Now, Copy the Profile name. (Open the window which you minimized previously)
- Paste the username you just copied.
- Press Check names, click Ok.
- When you get completed all of the above steps, Sign Out of your account.
And check for the error as there are currently no power options available in windows. I hope this method will solve your targeted problem!
5. Run DISM/SFC Scans
SFC stands for System File Checker and DISM stands for Deployment Image Servicing Management. They both contribute to resolving the error of no power options available in windows. Clean files are scanned by DISM and on the other hand, SFC replaces all of the corrupt files detected in the scan. For performing these scans follow the given steps.
- Open Command Prompt as mentioned previously. (Open it with administrative privileges, if needed, by clicking on “Run as administrator”).
- Now here, type
sfc /scannowthe command to start the system file checker. (SFC) scan in your computer and press enter to get a scan start.
- Now wait for the system file checker (SFC) scan to be completed, after this is done, Restart your computer again.
- Check for the problem if it still exists, go for a Deployment Image Servicing Management (DISM) scan. Follow the given steps to get done with it.
- Launch the Command Prompt again and type
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealthas shown, click Enter button.
- Now wait till the Deployment image servicing management DISM scan reach completion
And restart your computer, check if the error is hopefully fixed in your computer system.
This was basically a 2 in 1 method for getting help in the error you are facing, so this method has more chances of solving the error.
6. Perform a System Restore
So here comes the final and unbeatable method for the solution to your error. If you have tried all of the methods that still error exists, this is the guaranteed way of solving the problem. This will not only help to fix this error but with this, also eradicates problems that make your computer run slowly or not work properly. Here are the steps to get done with this process.
(Before starting this action, make you clear that this will not affect any of your pictures, videos, documents, or any kind of your personal data but drivers and recently installed programs can be uninstalled with this method)
- Launch Create a restore point from search results.
- Click on the System Protection.
- Now press the System Restore option and press the Next button to proceed.
- So here Choose your restore point (Preferably, the automatic one) and press Next to continue.
(The programs or apps that are being removed in this process can be seen by clicking on Scan for affected programs)
Now, confirm the restore point and press the Finish button to start the system restore program.
Congrats! You are done with it. I hope this method will be helpful for solving the error you are facing and as well as your computer will be faster and better than before. And most importantly, you will be able to use your power options without any barrier or error.