There is a lot of concern over digital privacy, especially when it comes to phone usage. Because it is easy to track down and get the needed information about anyone’s phone or contact number. For this purpose, people use burner phones to cover privacy issues and manage their personal business affairs. But still, many people wonder, can a burner phone be tracked or is it untraceable?
The answer is yes, burner phones can be tracked. But there are ways to minimize the risk by using it properly. In this article, we’ll provide a comprehensive guide on how burner phones work, can a burner phone be traced back to you, and how to use it to minimize the risks.
Can a Burner Phone Be Tracked?
A burner phone is a prepaid phone that can be used for short-term communication and is typically discarded after its purpose is served.
However, concerns about its level of privacy are in the air such as, if you discard it, then how tracking is possible? Are they anonymous? If you use a burner phone, can someone track you down? And the answer is yes, burner phones can be tracked.
How Untraceable a Burner Phone is?
It is crucial to remember that nothing is 100 per cent secure. In the same way, burner phones are not as anonymous as people think they are.
How untraceable a burner phone is depends upon how wise you are and for what purpose you are using it. Disposing of a burner phone is simple and easy. However, burner phone tracking depends on a variety of factors, including the type of phone you use and how you use it.
How Can a Burner Phone Be Tracked?
A burner phone hides your privacy, and you can also discard it easily. Despite that, without taking care of crucial things, anyone can track a Burner phone or data.
It can be traced only if you:
- Upload personal credentials such as contact number or Gmail, etc.
- Do not use a VPN to hide your IP address.
- Buy from an online store and do online payment transactions.
- Sign up for any cellular service provider. In this way, you are providing data rights.
- Do not go through the service and privacy policies of any company before subscribing to any service.
An ordinary person can’t track your burner phone if you didn’t do any of the above steps. However, through law enforcement, service providers can get track of the activities of the criminals and provide them to authorities.
How To Use a Burner Phone Correctly?
There are a few things to keep in mind if you’re thinking about buying and using a burner phone. Follow the given guidelines to protect privacy while using Burner Phone.
- Buy a simple prepaid phone from a small offline store. The one that already has an unlimited offer of minutes, messages, and data.
- Pay through cash.
- Use any number except your personal number.
- Pick a code of your area at that moment.
- Provide information like a casual customer in order to not get suspected.
- After buying, change data, and region in 1-2 days.
- Leave the default voicemail settings. Do not change those.
Using a burner phone securely is crucial to avoid burner phone tracking. Here is how you can:
- Only answer calls to whom you gave a number.
- Do not receive calls from anonymous identities.
- Make calls far away from the area code you provided.
- Use the number and phone for a short period of time.
- Do not contact your personal number or family through this phone.
- Never reveal any private information in text messages. ‘
- Do not randomly join any link without verification.
After using it, discard it properly to leave no mark. Here is how:
- First of all, dispose of the sim chip and disintegrate the sim then.
- After that, remove the battery and break it into pieces.
- Destroy the casing and parts of the phone. You can do so by using water and then a stone.
- Now wrap the phone pieces in an aluminium foil and throw them away in the trash.
Tips to Protect Yourself From Burner Phone Tracking
Besides using a Burner Phone properly, you should also follow certain in order to protect your privacy.
Follow the tips if you want to stay untraceable from the reach of the police or government.
- While buying a burner phone, pay through cash. Do not buy it from any online store and do any online transaction.
- Do not streak your burner phone around or before any camera or where you should be visible. Pay little heed to cameras in public.
- Ensure that no one is following you specifically on the spotted places where you are discarding the burner phone.
- Do not use a phone without a VPN in order to hide your IP address.
- Discard it by breaking it into pieces far away from your residential area to leave no traces.
All things considered, a burner phone is incredible for individuals who want to maintain privacy by keeping a different track of their personal and workspace. It is also best for online selling and dating purposes. However, there is a darker side as well, many criminals also use it for hiding their suspicious activities.
Burner phones can be tracked easily if someone doesn’t know how to use them. But hopefully, after reading the above comprehensive guide, now you must know how to use the burner phone wisely.
Enjoy being untraceable!