When you just bought your Mac, it’s understandable that you were excited by its performance and excellent features. But over time, you may notice that your device is getting slower. What’s the reason for this? The thing is the computer has limited storage space, and if you are keeping too many documents and programs on the computer, it can affect the performance.
In our short guide, we will provide some useful hints on how to optimize your Mac’s storage and keep your device on the high level of its performance without waiting a lot of time.
If your device starts to slow down, do not blame yourself and try to understand how to fix the problem. There are simpler ways to solve this problem than to buy a new computer. Try our tips on speeding up your device successfully!
- Restart the computer. Get a new habit of turning off the Mac after you finish your work, or just restart it from time to time. This gives a fresh start to the RAM and gets rid of unused apps and unnecessary processes in the background.
- Limit the number of programs you open on the Mac. Needless to say, opened apps eat up RAM and slow down the computer. When you are working on the device, check out which apps you use currently to minimize the number of unused programs. This will help to increase the speed of the Mac significantly.
- Close tabs in the browser you don’t use. When you are surfing the Internet, it eats up a lot of memory, especially if you used to have tons of tabs opened. A new tab is like a new browser, so try to open only those tabs you need for work or entertainment, and you will notice that your device is working faster again!
- Delete unnecessary programs. We are sure you have a pile of apps installed on the device which you don’t use for months and maybe years. All these applications eat up the computer’s memory and make it work slower. As a result, your Mac will work much faster when you have only the needed programs.
- Check out your Dock and delete unnecessary apps from there. You have to understand that every application you have in Dock eats up additional memory and slows the device down. If you want to make your computer work faster, check out your Dock to remove some unused programs.
- Remove a screen saver. Of course, all people like to set their photos as wallpaper or a screen saver, but few of them know how the picture that changes every 5-15 minutes is eating up the memory of your device, causing it to slow down. Just get rid of the screen saver, and it will also help to improve the speed of your device.
- Upgrade the device’s memory. Of course, you can add more RAM to speed up the computer. Before you buy memory, make sure your Mac has additional slots to add some RAM. If you are not a tech guy, we recommend asking a professional to help with this question.
- Upgrade the hard drive. If you have a usual hard drive, we recommend upgrading it to an SSD. This allows you to perform various tasks faster and open different programs and documents much easier. SSD uses an innovative technology that allows accessing the needed data instantly. SSDs are much faster compared to HDDs and in addition, they are more efficient, durable, and reliable to use.
- Install all the needed updates. It’s quite important to install all the suggested updates because it helps your device to run faster. Usually, updates contain some important decisions to solve various problems with the computer. Many users ignore updates or think they don’t need them at all. But installing updates is a way to increase the speed of your Mac as well as keep it safe from viruses.
As you can see, it’s simple to keep your device on its highest level of performance if you follow effective hints that will not take a lot of time to fulfill. We have listed the hints on manual cleaning, but apart from this, you can use special apps to check the computer’s storage and remove unwanted files and apps. It’s easy to use these programs because you do not have to spend a lot of time keeping everything under control. Feel free to read more effective tips on optimizing the storage on Mac and take care of your device properly.